Facts and Infomation
Are your kids interested in the stegosaurus dinosaur? Find out more about this amazing dino.
Here is the place to find facts and information about its size, habitat, diet and more!
Stegosaurs lived about 150 million years ago in the Late Jurassic/Early Cretaceous Period. The first fossil was discovered by Professor Othniel Marsh in 1877. The large, bony plates he found on its back reminded him of roof tiles - so the name he gave it means 'roofed lizard'.
Stegosaurus Fast Facts
- You pronounce their name 'steg-uh-sawr-us'.
- The meaning of Stegosaurus is 'roofed lizard'.
- Stegosaurus had brains the size of ping pong balls.
- Their length was up to 9 meters (30 feet)
- They were 4 meters (14 feet) tall.
- They weighed 2 tons (about an average American car).
More Dinosaur Details
Some of the bony plates of this dinosaur can be very large - over 1 meter (3 feet) high. Scientist are not sure how how the plates lay - or what they were for. Some believe they were for defence, but others that they may have acted as a way of controlling temperature.
More questions you may have :
Diet - What did the Stegosaurus eat?
Habitat - where did they live?
How big was it compared to a man?
Leave Stegosaurus Dinosaur for Kids-Dinosaurs.com Home
Enjoy this page? Please share it. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.